The Akron Townhouse School opened in 1900 and educated children of surrounding farm families for the next fifty-eight years. The schoolhouse fell into disrepair in the 1990s. In 2003, a group of volunteers made plans to restore the building. The schoolhouse was moved to its current location in 2004. For 3 years, volunteers worked to restore the schoolhouse to its original beauty. The schoolhouse retains part of its original wood flooring and has many period furnishings. Over 100 years have passed since the Akron Townhouse School first opened its doors to students. Now, it serves to give students of the 21st century an idea of what it was like to attend a one-room country school.