Just because it’s more difficult to be outside during the Winter season doesn’t mean there isn’t an abundance of things to do and enjoy in the Peoria area. Don’t let the cold weather stop you from making discoveries and memories! Grab a friend or family member and read on for some ideas of ways you can stay busy in greater Peoria this winter season.
1. When in doubt, chill out // Ice skating is a fun winter sport to push you out of your comfort zones and work on your coordination! Owens Center in Peoria has two full-size ice skating rinks and offers public skating times as well as adult skating lessons. When you’re done skating, you can warm up with some hot chocolate!
2. Painting is the Music of Sight // Show off your creative side and try painting your own pottery! Fired Up in Peoria Heights lets you pick the pottery item you want to paint, and paint it however you’d like! This is a great way to work on your art skills, plus you will have a fun souvenir you can eventually take home.
3. Jumping for Joy // Who says there’s an age limit on trampolines? Channel your inner child and take a trip to a trampoline park! The Peoria Area has two different Elevate Trampoline Park locations where you can literally bounce around.
4. Catch the Action on Ice // The Peoria Rivermen are one of Illinois’ top semi-professional hockey teams that play at the Carver Arena in the Peoria Civic Center. With games scheduled through mid-April, there’s still plenty of time to support the Rivermen!
5. Just go with the Snow // If it snows this season, you have to take advantage of it! Grab a friend and head to your nearest hill for some classic winter fun. The Peoria Area has a variety of parks including Detweiller Park and Laura Bradley Park with plenty of snow for your sledding needs.
6. Never Stop Learning // The Peoria Riverfront Museum is the perfect place to go to enjoy your time and learn all at once. Between a series of exhibits, a giant screen theater and the dome planetarium, there’s plenty to keep you occupied. Plus, downtown Peoria is filled with great restaurants where you can eat after spending a day discovering what the Riverfront Museum has to offer!
7. Shop Local 365 // Every day is a great day to shop locally! A few areas with a broad selection of shops where you can enjoy your time include Washington’s downtown historic square, downtown Chillicothe and East Peoria!
8. Conquer New Heights // When it comes to active winter activities, you can’t forget rock climbing! First Ascent is a rock climbing gym in Peoria that offers a unique indoor experience. Rock climbing is not only exciting but it will challenge your athletic capabilities!
There’s no point in being stuck inside when there are so many possible adventures you can go on this winter season. Don’t let the weather stop you from discovering Greater Peoria!